Monday, December 20, 2010

Princess Elisabeth of Thurn und Taxis talks about her new book

Princess Elisabeth of Thurn und Taxis, younger daughter of Gloria Princess of Thurn und Taxis and the late Prince of Thurn and Taxis, is the author of “La fede dei piccoli  (The Faith of Children). 

http://www.amazon.de/fromm-Elisabeth-von-Thurn-Taxis/dp/3939684619/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1292871930&sr=1-1

The German title is fromm!, which translates to pious.

Here is a link to an interview (in English) with the princess.  http://www.romereports.com/palio/German-Princess-Thurn-und-Taxis-presents-book-about-her-faith-english-3264.html


She said she wrote the book, originally published in German,  "to reach out to a group of readers who may be searching for a source of inspiration."  She says "being a Catholic means to make God part of her dauly life."  Princess Elisabeth hopes the book will be translated into more languages.

Princess Elisabeth Margarete Maria Anna Beatriz was born March 24, 1982 at Regensburg.  She has one older sister, Maria Theresia, 30, and a younger brother, Albert, 12th Prince of Thurn und Taxis, who turns 28 in January.  She attended boarding school in Sevenoaks, Kent, and received a BA from the American University in Paris.   Princess Elisabeth now lives in London. 


The Princess is the features editor for  Finch's Quarterly Review.  She also writes an online blog for the review, entitled The Princess Diaries.

http://www.finchsquarterly.com/8452/goodbye-farwell-aufwiedersehen-adieu/    Shortly after the publication of the German edition of her book, the princess was interviewed by the German newspaper, Süddeutsche Zeitung.

The reporter asked the princess: "What is your personal definition of morality?  Princess Elisabeth answered:  "To me morality means that one is sincere, his fellow man does no wrong, and one needs to be at peace with the environment."

What have you learned from Catholicism into the world of work?  "You can learn that earthly pleasures are short-lived.  Of course, it is nice to be successful and make money.  This does not contradict from the Catholic faith -- but it's just temporary."

Princess Elisabeth works as a full time journalist.  Finch's Quarterly Review is a luxury lifestyle publication.  How does this job fit in with her religious beliefs.  "It is true that my job is not all religious.  But the good thing about faith so that I can live it.  My faith does not limit or restrict me in my career choice. If that were the case, I would surround myself only with friends who are Catholic. "
Some of Elisabeth's friends were surprised with her book.  "I normally do not write about the sacred faith....It was great that my friends showed so much interest in my book."
In her book, Elisabeth writes about morning prayer and confession, both of which can help a career.  "It is always important to have rituals in life that give a structure.  Whether you pray, do sports or reading a book -- all of which can help to change the perspective and time to find new inspiration."
Princess Elisabeth says she prays twice a day - morning and in the evening. 
"It gives me strength and stability, and reminds me that ultimately I am not in control of my own life, for God guides me.  Confession is a good way to to be aware of the bad qualities you have.  It's basically like talking to a therapist."
Elisabeth's blog, The Princess Diaries, was the idea of her editor.  "At first I was rather reluctant to write under the title "The Princess Diaries," as I was always embarrassed to be a princess.  On the other hand, it is just a title, as I can do actually anything with the blog....It is a kind of weekly diary entry that I try to keep light and funny."

The Princess was asked if she thought it morally unfair to live such a privileged life.  She has financial independence and does not have to work for a living.  "Of course my name was a big help, but also a burden....In my profession, my ancestry has opened some doors," she acknowledged.
"Due to my financial independence, I can decide what I want to write, and I have no need to make compromises in order just to make ends meet.  On the other hand, the expectations others have in me are always higher, and I have to do things better so that my work is accepted.  But I have come to a point in my life where I can feel gratitude for things that have been given to me."

http://jetzt.sueddeutsche.de/texte/anzeigen/488700

No comments:

Post a Comment